Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year Blah Blah Blahs

I've never been a huge fan of "resolutions" if only because the entire idea behind them is contrived and stupid. It's why two weeks later your Facebook feed is inundated with the forwarded twats of "well, I gave it a try! LULZ!"
What most people don't get through their thick skulls and into the void of where their brain would most likely reside is that a resolution doesn't mean shit iff you aren't willing to make a permanent change to your life. Whether social, diet, exercise or what-not. Human beings are creatures of habit and heaven forbid if to put yourself in a better place you have to leave that comfort zone.
So, with that in place, here are the changes that I'm making this year to better who I am.
First off is regulating my diet. Guess what, there's an app for that. Last year ended with me having more physical limitations than I am used to, which became a certainty after a bold attempt at a 7 mile run on New Year's Day. I ended up walking the last two miles because my leg wouldn't have it. It massively sucks, but without insurance I can't change that medically, so I have to combat any resulting weight gain through diet. I log my food and keep track of my weight. It's easier than making the food in the first place, or at least placing an order.
Secondly, it's time to get out of this hole that the last 3 years have shoved me into financially. That means work, and you can't get work without skills, so I'm taking bartending classes. I'll take the time to actually network myself (my largest failing by far in the past with employment) and if something big lands on my front step, I'll jump at it instead of taking the "give it a month and see" prudence that has shafted me for so long.
Speaking of which, I've been living on a poverty level income for so long, that I don't see my expenditures as a whole lot, just my having an income that can't keep up with vet visits and car repairs on top of rent + utils (Seriously, I haven't paid more than $6 for a movie ticket in years and it's rare that I'll break the odd Hamilton after snacks). But the money is bleeding out somewhere, so I've gone to app-town again and snagged a finance calculator. Just like the food, it will help me keep track of what's exactly going on with what income I do get.
Selling plasma=money in my pocket. Or, to be specific, on a pre-paid CC that is sitting quietly off to the side until I get enough together to cover important expenses. Consider it low-key insurance that only costs me a couple hours of my time a week.
Will some things stay the same? Sure, not all is wrong, I'll ideally keep submitting stories to publications in hopes that something gets picked up (again), I'll keep the company of my running group and as long as I'm accepted, continue to participate in the off-Strip show that has let me ruin their acts for the past year+. At least as long as I'm in the country/state. Let's say I have no qualms about leaving my home for other places. Adventure is in my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment